Pages

Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Mr Obama?

Good morning all. So I woke up this morning and wanted to see what was going on in the world.. I turned on my TV and started flipping through channels. I settled for a famous News station where some newscaster was discussing the president's performance with a guest...the conversation was appropriate and interesting until I heard the newscaster address the president as 'Mr Obama' hmmm...so I paused and then listened on..thinking it could could have been a mistake...I continued to listen..but heard it over and over again. I angrily switched to another program, and sent out a letter to that station! Hopefully they will be respectful enough to respond!
What do you guys think? Does anyone know why President Obama is being called 'mr Obama'? I mean is there a reason behind it? Is he not president enough? Am I missing something? Or are these people just outright disrespectful? What do you think?
Please explain to me.. Does anyone remember hearing phrases like 'Mr Clinton' or 'Mr Bush' over the past years? Like seriously, why can't this diligent president get his well deserved credit? What are your thoughts and comments? Please share...

7 comments:

Unknown said...

The country has become increasingly partisan due to the nature of the recent election, and television news outlets are aware of this. Conservative leaning programs gain viewers by saying inflammatory statements, like "Mr.Obama", or "Obama needs to release his birth certificate" - because controversy sells now. The culture wars have risen to the surface again, and this time it's war. What better galvanizing force for conservatives than a black man, with an immigrant father from Kenya and Muslim name (and middle name of Hussien)!

Instead of getting angry, we can use this energy to change our country for the better. Community organizing, VOTING, and writing letters in bulk (as you did) to our various representatives. I only wish more people were actually searched for the truth, instead of relying on fiction and rumor they hear on television.

President Obama, my president - President of the United States of America - Pay them no mind.

angel said...

Yea..I know. There is so much controversy over bullshit. They need to give the man a break. All this bias is uncalled for. This country is way too negative..Gosh.
About the addressing the president inappropriately, that is horrible. I have noticed it as well. It needs to be changed.
Btw, I love this post. Good job. Please post some more.

Somie said...

Thanks Angel. I will try to put up as many posts as I can.
I definitely agree with you kmgim, controversy sells a great deal and its a great attention seeking tool. I guess some people have not completely come to term with the fact that Pres Obama, is the president of United States...and that's sad.
Yes we should put our energy into activities that will uplift us instead of dwelling in anger.
Great point.

Braddock Googs said...

you have to understand that the news is a produced show. the news casters are given role to play and are doin their job, and it is the producers job to create a show that brings in viewers and attention to that station because thats how they all feed their family. if i was asked by my job to go on air and refer to the president as mr obama what do u think i will do ??

Anonymous said...

i so agree with you somie.. but it all boils down to his race... trust me no american had the balls to refer to dumb ass pres bush as mr bush... so tome its a race issue ... the sad part bout this is the make themselves look stupid to the world refereing to ur pres as mr..lol.. newayz i love ur blog ... the article is dope...biko continue...
nice to see a sister doing some inteligent shit

Tinu said...

i AGREE OHHH...u know what he will never be good enough for the american people and thats the honest truth!!

Somie said...

I know right? And that really sucks!

Post a Comment